Temp Sensor - PRTG

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
edited March 2012 in InfraSensing Sensors
I just configured a new environmental temp/humidity sensor.

My question is how do I monitor temperature and humidity levels in PRTG? There doesn't appear to be any documentation in this regard.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    If your prtg doesn't have a built-in mib browser, then use following: http://www.serverscheck.com/mib_browser

Connect to your SensorGateway and you will get a list of all the OID's and select those that you wish to monitor through prtg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Hi,

I just browsed th MIB file correctly and just find the sensor1 and sensor2 OID value.

The problem is that the temperature value is define as a DisplayString !?!

PRTG accept only INTEGER numbers for graphing and this is normal as SNMP implementation. Your SNMP implementation is useless with the temperature put in a string?

Can you change that or put the temperature in another value if needed by monitoring tool like us? Just the integer without the floating number can be correct...

This problem is not only with PRTG.... all monitoring SNMP software expect INTEGER numbers for creating graph.

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Hpelletier,

unfortunately your statement is incorrect. MRTG, Nagios, Cacti all work fine. Those are the most popular SNMP platforms in the world. It seems more of a limitation for PRTG then the opposite.

Our monitoring software will also accept those values and detect that it is a numeric value.

For you integer may be fine but for most people the decimal values matter.
  • nickvwcnickvwc
    I am looking for more information on connecting a temp monitor to PRTG as well. I have converted the .mib to .oldlib but it doesn't really give me any information.

Nick
    Hi Nick,

I just fund a solution, please select : SNMP Custom Sensor. You need to open the .mib to find the correct OID for your sensors, dont forget the .0 at the end of OID.

Please select after :

Value type : Gauge (float, e.g. "-5.80", "8.23")

PRTG will now monitor and graph your temp sensors.

The unit seems unreliable, PING fails 2 ou 3 times by day and the probe do not respond?? We are monitoring tons of device by PRTG and it's the only unit with long ping time that generate false alarms 2 or 3 times by day.
  • nickvwcnickvwc
    hpelletier

Thank you very much, its working great. I am not having the timeout issue you mentioned. Also, any idea what those other 2 sensors are when you import the mib?

traps: 0/trap enabled

traps: 0/trap receiver number

Thanks

Nick
    We purchased the extended probe with Humidity sensor. The OIDs for all three sensors included are as follows:

Main Sensor Temperature: 1.3.6.1.4.1.17095.3.2.0

Extended Probe Temperature: 1.3.6.1.4.1.17095.3.6.0

Extended Probe Humidity: 1.3.6.1.4.1.17095.3.10.0

Hope that helps!
    Hi nickvwc,

The sensors are not accepted by the PRTG .mib importer because the value is stored in a string and not in a integer value.

You must do the configuration with the SNMP Custom Sensor.
  • xclearnetxclearnet
    Well

I was able to get this to working somewhat by adding a SNMP Custom string sensor in PRTG and pasting the string 1.3.6.1.4.1.17095.3.2.0 in the OID feild. The weird thing is its showing me a graph of the miliseconds in ping time but the message shows me the temperature.

There has got to be a way to make it so the temperature is a graph instead of miliseconds.
This discussion has been closed.