Testing Flood sensors via SNMP

lnxuslnxus
edited July 2012 in InfraSensing Sensors
Hello,

I am running two flood sensors on a v4 with 2.0.7 firmware.

Via SNMP, one reports OK and the other reports 0.00

I have rebooted the unit multiple times.

I've also since loaded the sensorgateway.mib (not shown in SS) with no changes (still OK and 0.00).

Any ideas?

Comments

• lnxuslnxus
    Forgot to mention I swapped the sensor cables and the OK follows the port on the SensorGateway (.6.0 OID), not the sensor or flood cable.
  • lnxuslnxus
    I've also factory reset the unit and noticed a few things:

1) SNMP is on at boot even though the "Enable SNMP Agent" box isn't checked.

2) SNMP OK/0.00 Issue remains after reconfiguring.
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    Hello,

I have replied to you in your ticket, please standby.
  • Hi,

This is still happening. The new firmware did not resolve the issue.
    Try out firmware 2.10 BETA that is available from our website at http://www.serverscheck.com/sensors/firmware.asp
  • lnxuslnxus
    Thanks. The link on the v4 firmware page is broken and tries to download setup.exe. I found the real 2.10 based on the other download URL which seems to have fixed my original problem.

Also, while debugging this after updating the firmware: SNMP is enabled on boot regardless of the status of the "Enable SNMP Agent" checkbox. I don't know if this is a regression in 2.10 or if it's always been this way.
    The link has been fixed - thanks for informing us.

It has always been that SNMP is turned on by default
  • lnxuslnxus
    It doesn't appear that you can turn off SNMP, though. Having that checkbox present but not letting it do anything gives a false sense of security.

Doesn't matter to me, I use it so it has to stay enabled.
    99% uses it with SNMP so that's why it probably slipped in a firmware update. I have escalated it. You are right - it shouldn't be active if set to inactive.
  • lnxuslnxus
    OK, now that SNMP is reporting correct values for both sensors, I have scheduled a test. I am only able to get a non-OK value for one of the two sensors. It doesn't seem to matter which port on the SensorGateway I'm plugged into or which "rope" I use, it seems that one of the grey sensor box or it's cable isn't working correctly. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Dale
    Do you see the 2 flooding sensors in the interface or just one?
  • lnxuslnxus
    Both are in the interface, I just can't get them to detect that it's anything other than DRY.
    OK to recap:

1) Previous firmware showed DRY or WET on both sensors in the web interface but incorrect SNMP value

2) Updated firmware shows DRY on both sensors in the web interface with correct SNMP value but never shows WET even when cable is wet

Is that correct?
  • lnxuslnxus
    Not quite.

Previous firmware showed incorrect SNMP value for port 2 (0.00 instead of OK as port 1 did). Unfortunately I never tested getting the cable wet to see what it would do.

Current firmware shows WET for one of my sensors in either port. Other sensor never shows WET even if it's submerged in either port.

Thanks,

Dale
    OK. Just to exclude it is a sensor failing, can you just connect and submerge one cable at a time and see if it shows WET. We want to know if it is a firmware or cable issue.
  • lnxuslnxus
    Yes, we've done that. Only one cable will show WET. It will show WET in either port 1 or port 2.

We have issued a RMA to you so that we can inspect the unit causing the problem.
  • lnxuslnxus
    Hi,

In doing further testing to figure out which part of the cable to RMA (the "rope" or sensor box) I believe we've figured out that they just take more water than we've anticipated to activate. I assume this is not adjustable anywhere?

Thanks
    No sensitivity can't be tuned. Not sure what you mean with "more water" a few drops won't trigger it but if water is in constant contact (flood) then yes. It works around the principle of water being conductive.
  • lnxuslnxus
    It seems the cable has to be pretty much submerged. I was hoping less water than that would be conductive enough.

You can cancel my RMA if needed.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.