smtp email test fails

BobHBobH
After upgrading to v 9.0.12 on a new Win 2008 x64 server I am unable to successfully send email alerts. This was working fine on the old 2003 server (no longer exists). Nothing has changed on our firewall which is configured to allow outgoing smtp email on port 25 (Outlook works fine). Test results = Could not connect to server smtp.xxxxx.com. Same AV software & settings as before (tried disabling also). Gmail test results = Connect failed :IO::Socket::INET: connect: Unknown error

Any help appreciated

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    It is unable to make a connection - something seems to be blocking the alerts to be sent.

You state that your firewall is configured to allow outgoing SMTP email on port 25. However the GMAIL test results fail -> GMAIL doesn't run on port 25
  • Port 25 allow smtp rule was for our hosted email server-it didn't work either; I also have port 587 allow smtp for gmail rule.

This is on a 2008 R2 server. I see that there is an smtp feature that can be setup on 2K8-do I need this? Anything in the security of the OS (Windows Firewall is disabled)?

Thanks for your reply.
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    You can run the webserver in debug mode as per wiki instructions - it might shed a light as to where it fails in the communication with the mail server.

http://wiki.serverscheck.com/index.php/Webserver_debug

You said that your AV software is disabled but it could be that it is still running in background and causing it to be blocked.
This discussion has been closed.