Support for SNMP Version 3

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
edited June 2013 in InfraSensing Sensors
I have a number of SensorGateway (hardware version 5) devices, some with Firmware version 3.03 (beta) and one with firmware 3.06.

I've been trying to configure these sensors to talk to my NMS (Solarwinds) via SNMPv3 but have found that the devices do not implement SNMPv3 correctly.

I've found that enabling either the Authentication Protocol on it's own, or in conjunction with the Privacy Protocol causes SNMPv3 clients to timeout when querying the sensors.

I have tried querying multiple SNMPv3 configs on the sensors from the SNMPWalk GUI client and the SNMPWalk command line client in addition to the Solarwinds interface and find that none of them work as expected (or indeed as other SNMPv3 enabled devices work).

Has anyone sucessfully managed to implement SNMPv3 with any of these sensors?

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    I just verified it with iReasoning Mib Browser - maybe a solar winds issue
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Thanks.

Having just tried it with iReasoning it does indeed retrieve values from the device successfully as you say.

In addition, when I use SNMPSoft's SNMP-Walk for Windows command line it only retrieves values when I explicitly include the EngineID with the command (I used the EngineID that iReasoning detected automatically).

Having contacted Solarwinds, they insist that there is no way to include the EngineID when adding details for a device. Is this something you can advise on possibly?
    We are looking into it and see if we can develop a workaround for the incorrect implementation of SNMPv3 in Solarwinds...
    Have you asked them about any workarounds on adding the SNMP engine ID? Because according to RFC 5343, the engine ID in principle can be configured on each management station for every SNMP agent.
This discussion has been closed.