Flood sensor false alerts

reedbrreedbr
edited December 2013 in InfraSensing Sensors
Temperature and Sensor Gateway

Hardware release 5.0

Firmware 3.06

add-on power fault and flood sensors

Unit installed less than 45 days ago.

The flood sensor has been falsing, indicating "wet". This happened a month ago. I reset the unit with no change, then finally unplugged the sensor's twisted purple wire from the pigtail. When I plugged it back in, it went to "dry" until this past weekend when it falsed again. No hint of moisture on the floor anywhere. Nobody was in the room over the weekend. Unplugging the sensor and the pigtail have not cleared the alert status.

The sensor wires are running along the perimeter of the room on a vinyl floor, loosely held in place with the provided adhesive backed cable holders.

What could be causing the false alerts?

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    The cable works as follows: water is detected by the fact that the cable has a small electrical circuit based on the fact that water is conductive. Something may have damaged the cable causing a contact to be made resulting in the false positive.

You can RMA it from your order page and we will inspect it. If it is a manufacturing defect then it will be repaired/replaced under warranty. If it is not a manufacturing defect, then you can purchase a replacement unit.
  • reedbrreedbr
    Since I posted this, the status has gone back to dry. This is intermittent failure. There are no visible cuts or kinks on the purple twisted cable. How would you determine it is not a manufacturing defect? Is the twisted cable the only part in question (not usually the plug-in module or the pigtail)? Is there any other on-site diagnosis I can do?
    Our engineers inspect it using specialized equipment.
  • reedbrreedbr
    This is a somewhat inefficient way to obtain support. Is there a number I can call when you return on the 3rd?
    Aside from coming on site to inspect the device with our equipment, the only way to do it is through a RMA.

You can self request a RMA from your order page.

For small orders we offer a 30 day email based setup support included in any purchase. Additional email based support is available through the purchase of the monitoring software. Large accounts have their support contact details (telephone & email) as part of their agreement.

Our support team operates all the time and not just after the 3rd, otherwise we wouldn't respond to you today ;-)
  • reedbrreedbr
    This unit falses in spurts. I vacuumed the floor and cable and made sure nothing else was touching it. It was mostly quiet until last weekend when it sent me six alerts. Can the flood sensor sensitivity be adjusted at all. Could a firmware update possibly help. I'll RMA it if necessary but that seems extreme.

Thanks.
  • reedbrreedbr
    FYI, completed the 3.06 to 4.1 firmware update to see if it helps.
    How is it now?
  • reedbrreedbr
    7 days since the firmware update, no issues to date. 4.1 seems a little buggy though. Power sensor drops disappears occasionally from the list. Alert settings wouldn't save unless I checked and saved them one at a time. Even following the post on firmware updates I lost all settings and had to reconfigure. Crossing my fingers on the flood sensor though.
    There are currently no known bugs regarding to what was reported.

For the power sensor, have you tried replacing your cables?

If issue persists, kindly consider doing a factory reset then reupdating its firmware.
  • reedbrreedbr
    Wanted to post that I was probably wrong on this one about false alarms on the moisture sensor. I now think the AC unit has been dripping condensation on the moisture sensor. There has never been anything on the floor, but after watching it closer I saw signs of moisture on the AC unit above. I think I'm getting one or two drips a night and they dry before I get in to check it. I've had insulation added to the refrigerant lines and will see if this resolves the issue.
    Thanks for updating us. Got those noted.
This discussion has been closed.