Sensor losing connection

Dan ReadyDan Ready
edited March 2014 in InfraSensing Sensors
I have a SensorGateway V.5 that I just updated to firmware version 4 and not my external sensor for temp and humidity temporarily loses connection several times a day.

Also I believe the external sensor is giving false humidity readings since the update, I have the humidity in the room set to about 45% rh which is what the sensor was reading before the update. Since the update it is reading 36-40% even though I have even tested by turning up the humidification.

Anyone else have these problems or have any suggestions?

Comments

• Dan ReadyDan Ready
    Is the new firmware flawed? You are saying that I should roll it back to 3.3, is that just as a troubleshooting step?
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    I just rolled back to 3.3 which is definitely giving me correct readings now but the external sensor is still temporarily losing connection several times per minute
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    Indeed it is for trouble shooting.

Did you have any calibration set in firmware v4?

Losing connection is not something other users have reported before.

Do you have a support contract? If so then please submit a support ticket
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    We have never had any calibration set.

The issue was never happening before the firmware update yesterday.

Unfortunately we do not have a support contract.
    What firmware version did you have installed so that we can send you the link to that - allowing you to roll back
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    I had whatever came stock with it, I believe it was 3.06.
    Can you specify how the external sensor is losing connectivity? Also, how many ext temp/hum sensors have the issue? Screenshots would be very much helpful.
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    It seems like every other time that the external sensor sends the new info to the gateway it loses connection for a few seconds and reboots the external sensor i think. It always regains connection so far but is somewhat concerning to me.

We only have the one external sensor.

Do you have a web address or e-mail I can send the screenshot to? As i cannot directly post it here andI do not have the ability to host it on the web and supply a link.
    No we don't have an email address for users without a support agreement.

Here is the link to 3.06 - http://downloads.serverscheck.com/sensors/FACTORY_HWver5_Fw_Release_3_06.bin

The issue reported on v4 has been forwarded to our development team.
    Can you check with this firmware build if your humidity issue is resolved?

http://downloads.serverscheck.com/sensors/FACTORY_HWver5_Fw_Release_4_1.bin
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    I have just updated it to your 4.1 build and am going to monitor it for the day and I will let you know if it resolves the issue.

Thanks
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    So far the humidity readings are all correct so that bug has been corrected but we are still getting the very frequent loss of connection. It was working perfectly for the first 20min or so after the 4.1 update but then it started happening again.
    Please describe what you mean with loss of connection.

How do you know it loses connection? The sensor is polled at regular intervals. Do you mean not showing up in the web server, not available via SNMP, ... ?
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    We have it polling in 15 second intervals but since we have updated firmware, the sensor seems to drop very frequently for a few seconds and comes back. The sensor will either not show up for a few seconds or will show as a question mark with the readings as dashes. The reading also dissappear from the OLED screen on the gateway itself except for the onboard temp sensor.

A second issue that has seemed to arise is that the gateway becomes unreachable through the web interface after using it for a while. The ip we have set is 10.0.0.15 and that is what shows on the OLED but now it cannot connect to that through the web interface and i can manually ping the ip.
    Please perform a factory reset of the device
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    I have done quite a few factory resets and the web interface will work for a day or so and then just won't be reachable again.

I will try another one today though and see what happens.
    You can request a RMA for the unit through your order page. We will then inspect the unit.
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    If it comes to the RMA, would you send out a replacement so that we can be up and running while the other one is being inspected as this is our primary monitoring system?
    Gold, Platinum & Diamond support contract holders can benefit from advanced replacement units as part of their support program.

For all other customers it is an off-site 1 year repair warranty coverage.

If the problem can be fixed then the unit will be repaired. If it can't be repaired then only would the unit be replaced.

Under ASHRAE and DoE standards you should have multiple sensors in your room

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    We just received our first v5 gateways on v4 firmware. I can confirm the differences in humidity readings before the 4.1 update. I can also confirm that after some period of time the web interface stops responding. If power is removed and restored, it comes back.
    How many gateways are having the issues and what are their serial numbers?

Roll back to firmware 3 if this is more stable for you:

http://downloads.serverscheck.com/sensors/FACTORY_HWver5_Fw_Release_3_30.bin
  • Dan ReadyDan Ready
    Thank god someone else can finally confirm this issue, I don't look like a crazy man anymore!

In our case, we just have the one gateway with serial number SGW2012120506900 011
    I'm working to get the serial numbers since they don't appear to be in the web interface or SNMP tree anywhere. We've got 3 gateways, only 2 of which we're using at the moment. Looking at the release notes, rolling back to 3.30 would remove the dew point metric. Since we rarely need to access the web interface once the unit is configured, the snmp/smtp outputs still appear to work, and I can physically access the gateways if need be; I'd rather keep moving forward on the v4 firmware than lose that metric we, in part, bought the unit for. If/when we go to add a new gateway into our remote hosting facility or if the snmp/smtp functions start failing, I would definitely use the v3. 30 firmware.

I was disappointed to find the currently published mib doesn't match the v4 oid tree. And even more than that, the input sensor readings are in two different oid branches with differing structures and not just a single snmp table. Instead they're hard coded, non-indexed oids based on the physical port. This makes creating cacti graphs more tedious and less flexible.
    jhg03a, thanks for the update.

We are still investigating as we are not able to replicate and besides those 2 reports we don't have any other user reporting the same issue.

We have also passed on your remark regarding the OID to our dev team.
    Main unit v5 Sensor gateway with sensor hub & 5Temp/Humidity external probes & 1 water contact probe on v4.1 firmware: SGW2013121210229 015

Alternate Unit v5 Sensor gateway with 1 water contact probe & power loss probe on v4.1 firmware: SGW2013121210327 015

Pending Unit v5 Sensor gateway with 1 Temp/Humidity external probe on stock v4 firmware: SGW2013121210109 015

Also, another note for your design team. If you're only going to put the serial number in one place, don't put it on the side you'll be mounting against. I had to unmount the units in order to get those numbers. There isn't a reason you couldn't have put the stickers on the other side of the unit with the oled screen (or even better put it in the software somewhere). I ended up making my own labels with the serials and put it on the front of the unit so I don't have to unmount them again.
    I can also confirm that our main unit is experiencing the issue at the moment, but our alternate unit is not yet.
    The info has been passed on to our development team for investigation. It is in their queue.

jhg03a,

what type of cables do you use between sensorhub and base unit? what is the length?
    Cat5e 2ft. 568B 350MHz UTP
This discussion has been closed.