Shock sensor

mmartino1230mmartino1230
edited April 2014 in InfraSensing Sensors
I have a recently purchased and integrated a SensorGateway HW v5.0 with FW v4.0, with one external sensor - a Shock sensor. Our issue is that the Shock Sensor is contantly fluctuating readings, even when it sits on a cement floor. It's readings vary from .79 G to .97 G without the device moving. When I set the device in a rack and move it from side to side, my readings usually stay within this same range. Only when I lift the shock sensor or give it a good thud will the readings significantly change. Any ideas? I cannot find documentation regarding the calibration settings. If the shock sensor can't tell the difference between a solid floor and a rolling rack then it is useless to me.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    The shock sensor doesn't to move in order for its value to rise. It's a shock/vibration sensor thus shock/vibration presented to where is it will apparently alter the values even if the device is stationary in position.
  • mmartino1230mmartino1230
    I realize that but any ideas the sensor would see the same fluctuations when sitting on a concrete floor versus a rack with wheels swaying back and forth?
    Then it shows that some sort of vibrations are happening on the floor where the sensor is since it doesn't need to actually "move", as said before. The sensor senses gravitational force so swaying back and forth won't really do anything. But if sudden abrupt pressure is applied such as if the rack suddenly shakes, if its rack-mounted, then values will really rise.
  • thepthep
    I have the same issue. I had it sitting on the cement floor and then mounted in a rack.

I have it set as the below and it keeps fluctuating not sure what settings should I provide?

Warning Range

> 0.80

< 1.20

Down Range

> 0.40

< 2.10
    Then it's most probably due to some shock absorbed by the sensor which could be from as little as some heavy footsteps close to it to other sorts of disturbances (things falling or heavily "brought down", some vibration underneath the floor, etc)
This discussion has been closed.