SNMP Value

cdickscdicks
edited April 2014 in InfraSensing Sensors
I'm using PRTG to monitor our SensorGateway but the OID i'm using returns a string not a integer.

Is there a different OID that i could use that would return the temp as an Integer?

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Hello,

Which OID are you using? Are you wanting just to return the sensorgateway's temp?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    All the SNMP values returned by the Sensor gateway are strings. They do this so they can return decimal values which arn't part of the SNMP protocol. Typically this is done by returning 100ths of degrees as an integer then applying a CDEF at the presentation level to convert the integer back to a decimal. It's not uncommon to see the approach they've taken, but not exactly right either from what I gather.
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    Not all monitoring tools allow via SNMP to do computation (ie divide by 100) like a CDEF on MRTG.

The decimal limitation is a limitation of the SNMP protocol as said in previous post.

Most vendors solve this by sending it as a string. Even PRTG can convert this to a numeric value. Check out this thread on how to do it: http://community.serverscheck.com/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=8&TopicID=1856
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Ah, that makes sense. My preferred open-source tool, cacti, makes it very easy to perform CDEF conversions and does string conversion out of the box automatically.
This discussion has been closed.