SMS and Email Alerts

mfennermfenner
I've configured my system to send email alerts, but to use SMS when the network is down. SMS messages work, but unfortunately they work a little too well. Whenever there is an alert, I receive both email and SMS messages. These aren't for network outage alerts either. If my environmental sensors kick off an alert, I receive both SMS and email.

I was under the impression that it should only send the SMS if the email can't get out (which is determined by pinging google.com). Does a specific .exe attempt to ping google? Or does it run as a specific service account that might need elevated permissions? I'm just trying to figure out why it's always sending SMS alerts.

Thanks!

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    It sends out alerts via all selected options: email AND sms, not OR.

SMS is not configured in our software as a backup as for email.
  • mfennermfenner
    Thanks for the info. Does this mean the online manual needs to be updated? Or am I misreading something?

Taken directly from the wiki page (http://wiki.serverscheck.com/index.php/SMS_Alerts_via_GSM_Modem#Only_when_Internet_is_down): As of release 8.0.7 of the ServersCheck Monitoring Software you can have SMS alerts only sent when the Internet connection is down. This makes SMS alerting the fail-over alerting capability for email. It checks the Internet by performing a PING call to "www.google.com"

Is this feature no longer supported?

Thanks!
    What version and release are you using?

What type of SMS alerting are you using?

The feature should indeed be present in paid licenses
  • mfennermfenner
    I'm running 10.1.6 - Business 250 Edition.

My service contract has expired, but the license file should still be valid, correct? It just no longer qualifies for updates?

I thought if the software tries to ping google, maybe some service account does not have access to perform the task.
  • mfennermfenner
    I'm using the GSM & 3G modem mode. For "only send sms alerts when internet connectin is down?" I have selected yes. I've confirmed in the sms.conf file that it changes the values to:

gsmmodem

COM3<X><X>0000

%l (%g - %d) changed to %s at %t. Reason: %e

1<X>
    Indeed you can still use the software for as long as you want with that license file. However you are no longer eligible for support or updates.

I will pass on your issue to our software development team. If confirmed a bug, then it will part of a future software update.

This discussion has been closed.