Only when following rule is OK

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
Only when following rule is OK:

I am trying to use the SC Enterprise Edition - V 5.1.11 to check on the state of our WAN. As such, given the location of the SC Server, the various checks are dependent on other checks being "OK". In many cases these checks are several layers deep... not only 2 layers.

For Example:

Gateway A ---> Gateway B ---> Remote Switch

I need to check the status of the "Remote Switch" (PING), but to check this I need to know that the "Gateway B" is alive (again, a PING check) and to get to that "Gateway B", I need to know that the local gateway ("Gateway A") is alive (PING Check). While each of these checks works as expected, the dependencies only go 1 level deep. I would expect that if the local gateway ("Gateway A") is NOT "OK", that the dependant checks ("Gateway B" and "Remote Switch") would ALL be set to "HALT". However, SC only sets the first dependant check ("Gateway B") to "HALT", while the one 2 levels down ("Remote Switch") is still active, but obviously returning a status of "DOWN" as it is unreachable.

If SC actually checks for the "OK" state of the upstream rule (as suggested by the wording in the application), I would expect that my scenario above would work as expected as the Monitoring Rule configuration states to perform the rule "Only when following rule is OK:" - Not if the rules is set to "Halt".

Questions:

Can the rules be setup in hierarchical manner that is more than one level deep? If so, How? If not, will this be a consideration for a future enhancement?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    There currently is not a hierarchy (it's indeed only one level deep). I passed it on to development and they will include it in the product roadmap. They told me that it will not be feasable for release 5.2.0 (scheduled for release next week)

Regards,

Forum Administrator
This discussion has been closed.