Error Connecting and OverWhelming Alerts

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

Hi,

I am experiencing a problem with checks that I am doing. It does not matter whether it is diskspace or cpu checks I have a problem and receive these same errors in the log. what is happening is Serverscheck is having difficulty connecting to our servers, which I am not sure why. and when they dont connect they will send annoying Alerts saying that the check state is changed to Down, when really it just couldnt connect. This happens quiet frequently, is there something I can do to fix this.??

Here is a sample of the error log

Fri Aug 20 05:51:07 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to ********. Error -2147024891: Access is denied.
Fri Aug 20 07:16:40 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to ********. Error -2147024891: Access is denied.
Fri Aug 20 09:22:23 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to ********. Error -2147024891: Access is denied.
Mon Aug 23 06:42:54 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to ********. Error -2147023174: The RPC server is unavailable.
Tue Aug 31 06:48:32 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to ********. Error -2147023174: The RPC server is unavailable.
Tue Aug 31 06:48:43 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to ********. Error -2147023174: The RPC server is unavailable.
Tue Aug 31 06:48:55 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to ********. Error -2147023174: The RPC server is unavailable.
Thu Sep 2 11:44:12 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to ********. Error -2147023174: The RPC server is unavailable.
Thu Sep 2 11:45:03 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to *********. Error -2147023174: The RPC server is unavailable.
Thu Sep 2 11:45:14 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to *********. Error -2147023174: The RPC server is unavailable.
Thu Sep 2 11:45:23 2004 Status:DOWN - Free Space: ( %) Error:Error connecting to *********. Error -2147023174: The RPC server is unavailable.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    You can set ServersCheck to only alert when a value is received and as such not alert on error connecting to***

This is set in the alert options for each rule.

However you should fix the issue of Access Denied and the RPC server being unavailable as this indicates instability of your Windows network.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]

Hi,

I have it set to alert on each status and only when a value is returned. But when it sends an Alert it will say the value is "Error Criteria Reached" and it dont give a value.

In another thread a similar issue is reported. As it seems, in some circumstances it would trigger an alert even when there is no value.

Could you do following:

There is a new build of the monitoring_rule that has some additional logging capabilities so that we can help you tracking the issue.

Please download it from

http://www.serverscheck.com/files/monitoring_rule.zip

Let it run and when the "fake" alerts occur again, then please do send the latest log file in the logging subdirectory to support@serverscheck.com

I will do this! Thank you

how should I go about fixing the RPC Server being unavailable?

how do I find the logging subdirectory on the .exe for the monitoring_rule?

and how do I know the difference between the monitoring_rule that is already running and the one that I just excecuted?

When manually launching the monitoring_manager.exe it will tell you that it started build 5.2.2 of the monitoring_rule.exe

In the mean time I sat down with development and we were able to replicate your issue. So please bear with us for a couple of hours so that we can have it fixed.

Regards,

Forum Administrator
    OK. We posted the fixed monitoring_rule.exe

Can you download it from here:

http://www.serverscheck.com/files/monitoring_rule.zip

and try it on your systems (so replace the original one with the downloaded one). Make a backup of the original monitoring_rule.exe first

Regards,

Forum Administrator

Thanks!

Bryan

Do you have a support # that I can reach you at ? I am finished for the day and would like to know the out come of this tomorrow!

Thanks

Bryan

I do not understand your last request: "would like to know the out come of this tomorrow!"

You can reach support via email at

support@serverscheck.com if you purchased a support agreement with your ServersCheck license.

Is this another fix for my issue I posted here..

http://www.serverscheck.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=344&PagePosition=1

? I got the file you told me to get but is this a newer one?

The one above is indeed a newer build that solves the bug causing alerts to be generated even when no value is received (and when the option "not to receive alerts on no values" is set)
This discussion has been closed.