ping problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
I am having a problem configuring ping tests in serverscheck. We want serverscheck to set status=DOWN

when the ping check fails. Also when for some reason serverscheck is not able to reach the host.

However this is not the case since the status stays on "OK", even when the following is visible in the serverscheck logfile:

"Thu Feb 3 17:26:14 2005 DOWN - RTT:.29. - Unable to connect to host"

please advise

Daan

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Do you have set the option only alert on value set to yes (in the alert properties of the check). If so then it will only execute the treshold comparison and not take any errors into consideration causing the check not to return a value.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    I do not have an option "only alert on value" in the "edit rule alerts" screen. We have the "alert when" option set to

"all down cycles".

(we use version 5.7.4)
    For PING checks you have just under that list option "alert when" an option called:

" and only if check returned a value: "

this needs to be set to "no"

This option exists in all versions as of 5.6.X and higher
    Hmm, looks as if I have this option only while defining the check, but it does not show in the edit-rule-alerts when changing the rule afterwards.
    This was indeed a bug in 5.7.4 but fixed in the 5.7.5 (current release is 5.7.6)
    Ok I've upgraded to 5.7.6. The option is now visible and shows that it is set to "no". Also the corresponding field in serverscheck.conf is empty. It now seems to function properly allthough no changes were made to the config file. Fresh install probably did the trick ?

Is it nescecary to stop/restart serverscheck after editing/adding rules to the serverscheck.conf file manualy ?
    No a stop/start is not needed. The changes will be included in the next cycle.

How many retries do you have defined?

It can write the error message in the console with not having gone down.

Example:

3 retries for PING check to Yahoo.com:

- current status: OK

- attempt 1: failed - connection unavailable - status DOWN?

- attempt 2: failed - connection unavailable - status DOWN?

- attempt 3: OK - status OK

So it never went DOWN.

A trick to test if it really goes down is to create a rule for a domain name or IP that does not exist (or the machine is switched off). You will see that the status changes to DOWN after the number of retries has been reached.
    >A trick to test if it really goes down is to create a rule

>for a domain name or IP that does not exist (or the

>machine is switched off).

That is exactly what I was doing (i.e. pinging a switched-off system).

A support engineer will contact you for some logging files we need to see what is going on.

Regards,

Forum Administrator
This discussion has been closed.