SNMP

shalshal
I am investigating Serverchecks ability to monitor Traffic and bandwidth particularly on the server and if possible the ADSL connection.

I discovered in order to do this, ServerChecks uses MS SNMP.

Please advise me on how I can proceeed, and setup SNMP correctly as I do not know how.

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    1/ Is your ADSL Router SNMP enabled if so what are the following settings:

A) SNMP Port (default 161)

B) SNMP Community string

C) OID for inbound traffic and OID for outbound traffic

2/ Regarding traffic on your Windows server: you need to install the SNMP service on that computer. Then enable it (so start the service) and then create a traffic rule.
  • Thanking for your reply.

1) a)Yes, our ADSL Router has SNMP enabled. However, cannot see any obvious settings that suggests port 161 is set for SNMP. Is there a quick way to check? or can I assume that it uses 161 by default.

b) There are two Community strings 1) Get Community=Public and Set Community= Private and also trap = public.

c) Not completely sure what you mean. Can you explain where I should put the OID? on the router?

2) I have installed the SNMP component, and added the public as the community. But I need some advice on how I can set ServerCheck to connect to the server.
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    a) 161 is by default

b) If for GET the community string is Public then this should be used

c) SNMP is a protocol for transferring data on elements. Each monitored element is uniquely identified with an OID. The OID's are set by the manufacturer of the SNMP enabled device

2) SNMP component or SNMP service was added? Once SNMP service is running on both computer to be monitored and computer running ServersCheck, then you simply enter the details: server IP address, port and community string
This discussion has been closed.