HTTP Status Failing

jdewaltjdewalt
The HTTP Status check is failing regularly with status code 200 and intervals of 120 sec. Reason says Unknown. I get similar results with HTTP Header tests searching for a text string. PING tests work fine and the page always comes up fine. Ideas? Thank you.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    "Unknown" is often related to the fact that either a connection to the webserver could not be made or a timeout request on the content.

The value shown in the overview is the last known value it is not the value when it jumped to Unknown.

PING requests are at a lower level (network level). HTTP is at an application level.
  • jdewaltjdewalt
    I can always bring up the page from a browser, and the interval is set to two minutes. I understand PING is at a lower level, I just added the info to show that a connection can reliably be made between the two machines. How do I troubleshoot the connection or find out why there is a timeout?
    Yes can debug as follows.

Run via the command prompt in the agents subdirectory the following command (after having created the test.conf file detailed below in that same directory)

"url_check test"

All info is in the test.log file

Create a file called test.conf in your agents subdirectory with following content:

URL: http://www.yoururl.com

Method: GET

Redirects: True

URLParams:

POSTParams:

Proxy:

ProxyUser:

ProxyPass:

User:

Pass:

Content:

• jdewaltjdewalt
    I get a runtime error saying that "This method cannot be called until the Open method has been called".
  • jdewaltjdewalt
    I rebooted and now I get a different "Run-time error '55': File already open".
    What operating system / service pack are you using?
  • jdewaltjdewalt
    Windows 2000 Pro SP4
    Do you have the WinHTTP.dll installed (c:windowssystem32)?

It comes default with Windows XP / 2003 systems and is used by the URL checking component. Could you also email the test.conf and test.log files to ?
  • jdewaltjdewalt
    Yes, it is installed there.

Sending test.conf now. test.log was not created.
    The conf file contained some errors as apparently it needs to contain a space after the ":"

The code has also been modified slightly over the weekend (to address the space issue and some other possible issues)

Could you please download the latest version at

http://www.serverscheck.com/files/url_check.zip

and let us know if that solves the issue?
  • jdewaltjdewalt
    Thank you for the updated url_check file. I no loger receive a run-time error and the logs were created. I have sent them via email.
    Ok from what it seems the logs are OK and I hope that the current version of the url_check.exe will fix it

Can you replace the existing url_check.exe in your agents subdirectory with the updated one and then run the check from within ServersCheck?
  • jdewaltjdewalt
    OK, that is what I had done and it is running now. I'll let you know if I continue to receive the messages that the page is down. Thank you.
    So it works now? correct? (if so then we will include the update url_check in a maintenance release)
  • jdewaltjdewalt
    Most of the checks always worked, but it would often fail for no apparent reason. So far so good with this version.
This discussion has been closed.