Problem since upgrade to 5.10.3

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
Hi,

I upgraded to version 5.10.3 (from 5.8.4) yesterday afternoon which appeared fine.

However, since yesterday afternoon the Application Event Log has hundreds of 'Serverscheck -Event ID 1' being logged every minute!

Also, the software stopped monitoring all my rules since 14:15 yesterday and therefore didn't notify me of an overnight failure...

The event logs are:

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( ServersCheck ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found.

and exact same as above but with these endings:

The following information is part of the event: Runaway child process memory_check stopped.

The following information is part of the event: Terminating - ProcID:7064 memory_check.exe.

The following information is part of the event: Monitoring_manager component restarted - code 2.

Since I restarted my server the checks starting working again- but the event logs still has the above being logged every minute. Help!!

Thank you

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    How did you upgrade? Manually or via the upgrade.exe (if via the upgrade tool then perform manual update - see knowledge base

http://kb.serverscheck.com/index.php?page=index_v2&id=12&c=5

)

Event logging: this is part of the new component to log aal issues.

What is the time stamp of the key.dat file in your main ServersCheck directory?

I think it safest for you to replace the new s-service with the previous version:

http://www.serverscheck.com/files/s-servicev1.zip
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    OK - I did the upgrade via the upgrade.exe tool. After all the relevant services and monitors were stopped.

The time stamp of key.dat is 10:41 today <current>

Also, is the new s-service zip file the file that restarts the monitors if they haven't updated in a certain time? If so, I've already applied that. (well, to previous version - do I need to re-apply to version 5.10?)

Thanks
    The s-service zip is the older version. Not that one.

Time stamp of key.dat indicates the last time a check was performed. Are you sure that checks are not being refreshed (ie page not being refreshed or cached in your browser)?
    I'm quite sure the checks were not being performed.

1. Have Internet Explorer caching set to 'Every Visit to page' - so a Ctrl + F5 should give me correct page.

2. I failed to get an alert when a server went down overnight... On checking Serverscheck it said status is OK - with a time stamp of 14:15 yesterday.

3. ALL the graphs have a section missing between yesterday afternoon and 9am this morning (when I restarted the server).

This 'hanging' of serverscheck has happened a few times inthe past. Stoping and Starting monitoring, or even restarting services fail to get it working... only a reboot fixes it.

Also, I didn't check the timestamp of key.dat before reboot (when I expect it was yesterdays time).

Thanks
    From what you are saying I can only deduct that something is causing the hanging of the monitoring service. If only a reboot fixes then I guess that something else on your machine is causing this.

By stopping the service, every running process is stopped and no longer running (cleared from memory etc..). However it is fixed when rebooting: this means that some other process is stopped too.

Is it running on a dedicated machine and if is there any anti-virus , firewall software or similar installed?
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you..I've been trying to work this out...

In answer to your questions: there is no Antivirus or Firewall on this machine.

In fact, it is a complete basic Windows 2003 Server on Dell hardware - No other software apart from Windows 2003, IIS and Serverscheck are on this machine.

(IIS to host our serverscheck HTML report).

I've found this though, hope it helps:

In the Logging sub-directory there is a s-service.log file - this log seems to coincide woth times I've had problems, and since the upgrade is logging every minute...

Here are parts of the s-service.log file:

# 07/06/2005 16:17:16 - info: Start Event - ServersCheck Monitoring Service Running

# 07/06/2005 16:17:16 - error: Monitoring_manager component died; restarting

# 10/06/2005 04:23:23 - info: Terminating - ProcID:3144 service_check.exe

# 10/06/2005 04:23:23 - error: Runaway child process service_check stopped

# 21/06/2005 04:46:41 - info: Terminating - ProcID:12628 memory_check.exe

# 21/06/2005 04:46:41 - error: Runaway child process memory_check stopped

# 21/06/2005 14:43:44 - info: Stop Event - ServersCheck Monitoring Service Stopped

# 21/06/2005 14:43:44 - info: Terminating - ProcID:1676 s-alerts.exe

# 21/06/2005 14:43:44 - info: Terminating - ProcID:1708 s-graphs.exe

# 21/06/2005 14:43:44 - info: Terminating - ProcID:1664 monitoring_manager.exe

# 21/06/2005 14:43:44 - info: Terminating - ProcID:5944 monitoring_rule.exe

<CUT>

And whats being logged every min since upgrade...

# 23/06/2005 15:30:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:31:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:32:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:33:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:34:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:35:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:36:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:37:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:38:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:39:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:40:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

# 23/06/2005 15:41:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found

Is this correct...? Only the log file is 1mb in size - and I only upgraded 2 days ago!

Thanks
    Development is going to make a build for you that is not logging to Event Log and not all errors to the file.

They promised it by mid next week.
    Er...

Its not actually 'no logging' I require... I want to know WHY its logging every 1 min.

Is the '# 23/06/2005 15:30:41 - error: FiveMinuteCheck Sub - [53] File not found' - not an error? What file is not found?

Being able to track errors has got to be a good thing and I don't want to lose that feature - only if it is now logging a problem, then surely somethings wrong?

Apologies if I'm causing you a headache here, any log files you need you're welcome too, only I'm losing faith in its reliabilty here.

Thanks for your continued support
    From what I have been told it could only be related to the graphing part (which might explain the issue you are facing).

So they quickly updated the s-service.exe

Could you download it from here:

http://www.serverscheck.com/files/UKMON.zip

Stop the service and then copy the file and restart the service.

I hope that this is the reason of the graphing causing you a nightmare.
This discussion has been closed.