Using exsisting name for new check?

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
Hi,

I've got to be missing something here...

A colleague created a rule, lets say PING PC1 - but then deleted it.

I now try to create a rule called PING PC1 - only on Step 2 of the rule wizard it says:

"ERROR: PING PC1 has already been used for a different check. Please select a different name"

There is no job using this name.

I've been through all the .conf files - no mention.

How do I delete this reference?? I've searched your knowledgebase, but it only mentions renaming a check.

Thanks!!

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Is there one called PING PC? A new check name may not include a name of a check already used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    It was an example..

The actual name is 'Servername - DNS' as I need to monitor the DNS service on a particular server.

I don't really want it named anything different as I want to fit in with the other rules I have created, all following 'Servername - DNS'.

So there is no way to re-use a rule name after it's been deleted????? Thats not good, it must hold it somewhere.

Thanks for the quick response by the way.
    If there is already a rule that is called "Servername" then it will not work.

So in terms of naming: the name has to be unique.

Example if I had a rule called

"Server 1" and would then create a rule called "Server 1 - DNS" then this will not work
    Ah, thats a shame...

So where are all checks actually kept? and can this not be a feature for the future.

I think we should be able to re-use the name of a check deleted.

Also, maybe my example wasn't clear...

My checks are..

SERVER1 - DNS

SERVER2 - DNS

SERVER3 - DNS

I used SERVER1 - DNS as a test, which was then deleted - but I want to re-add it now.. but if your comment is right - I need to call the rule 'SERVER1-DNS Again' or something...

:(

Thanks
    OK got you.

The only place were they are stored is in the Serverscheck.conf file. A restart might do the trick (only of the configuration server)
    Right, there is something wrong here...

I've restarted, and made sure there is no check with that unique name in serverscheck.conf.

I then create a new rule called 'SERVER1-DNS' - same error "..already been used for a different check. Please select a different name"

I try 'SERVER1_DNS' - same error.

I try 'SERVER1>DNS - same error!!!!

That is a Unique label name - not used before!

So my actual 'Add New Monitoring Rule Wizard - Step 2 of 5' looks like this.

Unique label name: SERVER1-DNS

Device that is monitored: SERVER1

Group belongs to: INFRASTRUCTURE

I'm sure this was OK before the upgrade, as I have existing rules with unique names, ie.

FILESRV1 D Drive

FILESRV1 E Drive etc

Something has got to be wrong if every unique name can't be anything like another!!

Actually thinking about it, how can I just revert back to version 5.8.4? - where can I download it from?

The new version is taking up so much of my time, I'd be quicker to monitor everycheck manually.

The checks stopping (which used to happen in the old version, until I got an updated file), the Graphs missing data, the over logging - and now I cant even create new rules that contain the same name...

Its far from ideal...

Thanks
    Unfortunately we can not make older versions available for download due to licensing restrictions. We encourage customers to always make a backup of the version they downloaded.

Maybe the 5.9.0 can be a solution. It is still available for download from Tucows.com
    OK, so I cant rollback to the version that appeared to work.

How can I resolve the issue with the rule names then?

We received your conf file.

From the conf file it appears that you are using a label for a TCP check; let's say it is labelled "Server A"

You are trying to create a new rule called "Server A - DNS". This will not work since "Server A - DNS" contains the name of another rule, "Server A"

Simply rename your "Server A" TCP rule to for example "Server A - TCP" and you are all set.

This discussion has been closed.