SMTPPOP3

labatlabat
I'm evaluating version 5.10.4 standard edition.

I have setup two SMTPPOP3 rules for checking in and out internet mail (between internal email server and internet email account).

When the rules fail, more than 600s to retrieve mail, they remain in this state (DOWN). I can manualy check the rule, it's ok but I need to restart the service to get automatic correct check.

Another rule for checking a TCP port continues to run correctly.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    You need to make sure that the in mail box is a dedicated one and that no other mail client access it.

The way this check works is that it sends a mail and then checks when it comes in. Now make sure that the check frequency is less than the max retrieve time:

when performing the test, ServersCheck will send out the email and wait a few seconds and then connect to the mail box. If the email is not there, then it will poll the mailbox at the next cycle. If the time between 2 cycles > 600s then of course the rule will keep failing
  • labatlabat
    Thanks for quick reply.

The maibox is dedicated to the check (except for potential spam reception).

When you say that 'if mail is not there it will poll the mailbox at the next cycle', what happends on the next cycle : If the mail is not yet received, does the system waits for the 600s into that rule or does it continue to check the other rules, and check again on the next cycle until the T.O. occurs for this rule ?

The strange thing is when rule status is down and I manualy check the rule, the response is always ok, but even if I wait for half an hour, the rule status remains down.

Note : I have only three rules, one checking a TCP port, a rule sending mail to external email address through our email system and retrieving mail directly on internet, and the last sending mail to an smtp server on internet and retrieving mail in our email system.
    Of course if the message is lost, then it remains down while waiting for the message (for example deleted by a spam filter)

It will not wait 600s but perform the next checks and then try again
  • labatlabat
    I have wait until this morning for the next 'Down?' state.

The state occurs at 02:19. I open the mailbox used to receive servercheck mails. It contains all the mails sent by servercheck from 02:19 to the time I open, with a frequency of 20 minutes (two rules with 600s TO).

I have then performed a manual check of the rule. All mails then have been read, and the test result was ok.

I have to stop/start the rules to get again 'OK'.

The system seems to have a problem with POP part of the rule as soon as a down state is encountered. The SMTP part is ok as all mails from 'DOWN?' state time have been received.

The DOWN remains like this because the expected email is never received.

Maybe a timeout feature will be a good addition for this type of check. I will talk to development about it
This discussion has been closed.