snmpkb thresholds

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
I am trying to set up snmpkb for a threshold alert.

In step 4 there is no way to include the threshold.

I can set <greater than> in the dropdown box, but there does not seem to be a way to include a value.

In contrast cpu monitor does have a box to set a value when chosing the <greater than> drop down.

What am I missing?

Version Professional 5.1.4

Thanks

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    There should be a box next to your drop-down box (tested and confirmed on 5.1.7)

Regards,

Forum Administrator
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    tere is only a dropdown box with the boolean choices -no place to put the value to be compared. I can send you a screen shot if you would like to see what I am talking about.
    There was an issue identified and it has been fixed. If you perform the update.exe in your main ServersCheck, then you will have the fix for this issue.

Regards,

Forum Administrator
    The version updae fixed the 'missing entry box' problem.

It now seems that the return values are not being calculated as per the alert documentation.

On a cisco router using OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.1 for port 1

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2 for port 2 etc I am receiving large return values indicative of total octets received rather than the band width calculation stipulated in the documentation.
    Bandwidth is calculated as follows:

(value at request 2 - value at request 1)/(time2 - time1) and this gives a value per second.

This only works as per documented if the value returned is an incremental value.
    That formula is not worling.

The value returned by the OID I am using is incremental.

Typical value (1) 1330610564, value (2) 1331064374, value (3) 1331225612 etc.

By the way while setting up a different alert I noticed that the SNMP selection does not have a value entry box next to the boolean selection dropdown box. This is the same problem I had with the SNMPKB alert function and which started this discussion.

I plan on using of the features of you product as I continue to build our management platform, are there many such problems to be resolved or do I have a broken copy of you software? I would like to do whatever it takes to resolve the issues but I cannot spend extended perios of time as I have many other responsibilities.
    When there are issues we try to solve them. When you use Internet Explorer, then you should be able to set the value. The issue is a Mozilla one. I will have development look at your SNMPKB check.

Regards,

Forum Administrator
    Just letting you know that a developer is working on both the SNMPKB check and fixing the mozilla issues.

I will post a message when an update is available (should be within the next couple of hours).

Regards,

Forum Administrator

I switched to IE and the SNMP "value" box is now available.

No need to work on Mozzila unless you need to for other customers.

The SNMPKB is still not returning the proper values - some feedback for your engineers - it seems to work for one set of readings if I turn of the alert and then turn it back on,

the first value returned is high the second value seems to be reasonable then all other returned values seem to be the raw incremental OID value ie no calculation.

Hope this helps ......

OK. It seems that the SNMPKB is working (we checked it against TCP traffic retrieved through SNMP from a computer network card ).

I am not sure what is happening on your side and therefore we have made a test build (debug build) for you. This will output data allowing us to track down the issue on your system.

Could you please email me to support@serverscheck.com so that I can send you that version.

Regards,

Forum Administrator
    Since we did get your mail here how to get the modified version:

You can download the corrected version for Mozilla (other SNMP checks) here:

http://members.chello.be/cr50591/update/s-server.exe

The monitoring_rule.exe has been modified to produce additional data in the log file for the SNMPKB check. This is a sample output:

----------

Returned value from SNMP: 11897543

Substraction: 11897543-275871

Time difference (sec): 41

Calculation for OID (traffic=bits/sec): 283455

----------

The modified version can be downloaded here:

http://members.chello.be/cr50591/update/monitoring_rule.exe

Pleasae send us the output produced for your check so that we can debug.

Regards,

Forum Administrator

Received the new monitor_rule.exe file and placed it in the serverscheck directory.

What is the name of the file you want me to send to you?

It is the log file for the SNMPKB check you defined. You can view that file by clicking on the icon next to the graph icon.
    There is no icon next to the graph icon, no icon under the log column on the home page, and I do not see a way to specify one when creating the snmpKB alert.

Ignore last message.

I turned the alert off and on and now there is a log file being recorded.

I will gather some data and send the file to you.

The new file you sent me seems to have solved the problem.
    I will let it run for a week and let you know if I experience any problems.

Thank you for your excellent technical support.

This discussion has been closed.