Ping Timeout

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

I have a fairly large number of ping rules that test various devices across the Internet. I am getting alerts from time to time that the devices are not responding. However, I am very confident that the devices are indeed working properly. I bumped up the number of retries and this has helped the problem, but now I am testing 6 times with 3 minute intervals and the alarms are still happening from time to time. The alarm will go off and then the system will recover within a minute or so.

Can you tell me if the ping response wait time is something that can be adjusted (assuming this is the problem - a slow link causing the pings to fail)?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Michael Bruck

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    No the ping timeout can not be adjusted. The retries are done one after another so without considering the interval.
    What do you suggest to do to correct the ocasional failures? Just more retries? If so, any suggestions on how many?

I would increase the retries and maybe we should ask the possibility to add timeout as a value.

if the systems you are monitoring can be checked through TCP then I would use that check

This discussion has been closed.