Dry Contact Sensor stops responding.

rendersrenders
edited September 2014 in InfraSensing Sensors
Hi all.. I have a dry contact sensor and a V5 sensor gateway (5.07 firmware) that has an issue where the dry contact sensor stops responding after a couple of months. The web interface looks normal but the nothing changes when an input changes state. A software reboot of the gateway does not fix it. The sensor must be unplugged from the gateway and then plugged back in to get it to respond again.

The sensor LED flashes normally all the time. Updatted the firmware on gateway several times with no improvement.

Any ideas?

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    What's the input device being used? Have you tried others?
  • rendersrenders
    All contacts are from relay floating closures on a variety of devices. The entire dry contact sensor becomes non responsive.. The gateway continues to work normally and the web interface displays the dry contact inputs, just does not indicate any actual changes.

Rob
    If you have other SensorGateway units, can you try to connect the IO sensor there and see if the results are the same?
  • rendersrenders
    I will have access to another.. Good idea, I will give it a try..

Rob
  • bnicolbnicol
    Had exactly same problem 2 times in 2014.

Have you finally fix the problem?

1-I dont have other sensor Gateway unit.

2-Release 5.07 already installed.

thanks
    bnicol, what inputs are connected?
  • bnicolbnicol
    1x IO Dry Contact Sensor Probe, connected to Sensor Gateway V5, probe#1
    What input is connected to the dry contact sensor probe?
  • bnicolbnicol
    The input is other dry contact from power generators.

These contacts works properly I checked.

When the problem append, I tried to simulate contact directly on IO module and it is not responsive.

Everything becomes normal only after power cycle.

By the way I tried before to reboot system via the web GUI and does not work either
    I see. Please provide a screenshot of the web page of the "Sensor Status" section when the problem arise.
  • rendersrenders
    Hi all.. Sorry for the long delay to responding..

I have not had the issue return since I reported it.. Perhaps the 5.07 firmware fixed it..

Rob
  • rendersrenders
    No such luck.. Just realized that the i/o had stopped working again this week.. FYI, I am able to parse the snmp data but nothing changes when the contact is closed. The I/o led on the top of the unit continues to flash. I saw that 5.11 was available and updated to it. However, the closures still did not function. It took a full power off reset to get it to start working again.

• bnicolbnicol
    I had the same issue, so 5.07 didn’t fix the problem, just realized that the dry contacts are not responsive since 14 days. The web page of the sensor doesn’t see if the dry contacts are triggered or not. It looks like that the contact module doesn’t communicate the information to the network module.

Updated the sensor to 5.11 and power cycled it.
  • rendersrenders
    Hi all.. I purchased a replacement i/o interface and tried it.. After about two months, same issue.. I moved it to the alternate port on the Hub and it started responding again.. I will leave it here to see how this works.. Perhaps it is the hub port.
  • sensor_ninjasensor_ninja
    i advise that you update it with version 5.11, had the same issue and updating the firmware solves it.
  • bnicolbnicol
    Hi, we bought 4 more kits last year (base unit and 16 IO module contact) and installed them on 4 other sites (and 2 kits are in order right now for 2 other sites) I’m realy surprise the same problem happened (then the one that I have since 2014 and still have the problem) after around 6 month the dry contact dosen’t report the alarm to the base unit and I don’t receive any alarm until I do a power cycle of the units (reboot doesn’ restore the problem), I updated them to Release 8.7 (Jan 12 2022) a month ago and ajust sensor pooling to 1 sec. The same problem happened in 4 kits
  • FinleyFinley
    hello bnicol, may I ask what alert feature did you use?
  • bnicolbnicol
    sorry I didn't see your reply, I still have the problem, one the installed module doesn't work again at this moment...

I use SNMP and email alert but when the IO module stop working, SNMP and email doesn't work. I use dry contact as an alert from my equipment, when the IO module stop working correctly you can put a short on any input port and the module does not see the short and the status stay green.
    I have 6 modules already installed and just received 2 other. All the 6 module have the same problem. I’m disappointed.
  • bnicolbnicol

You can see this example I have a real alarm actually on Input 1 and Input 7 is free, so I changed the alert on the contact state to Open. Both of the Input should be in alarm actually but the state stay green.
    The only way to resolve the problem is a truck roll and reset manually by a power cycle the main unit with the power supply (reset the unit via the interface menu doesn't resolve the problem)
  • bnicolbnicol
    This morning I disconected the IO module from the Sensor port 1 of the main module and moved it to the port 2 and the IO module has started working again (Without rebooting the main unit).
  • DhaneDhane
    Hello, I do have the same setup which I use the IO to detect triggers for my custom built machine. It triggers every hour and I haven't encountered issues as you both describe like the IO is unresponsive.

I can't see the image you posted binicol, but if you can host the image on other so that I can see what you posted and can you show me your setup?
  • Alain BrunetAlain Brunet
    We have the same issue. Every two months we have to power cycle the unit. Software reboot does not fix this issue. Anyone ever get a actual fix for this issue?

Hardware VersionRelease 5.1
    Firmware VersionRelease 8.9.0 (Jul 26 2022)
    edited March 2023
    Alain please provide the build date of your IO sensor (start of your IO snesor serial number). We assume that you are using the IND-IO unit and not the IND-IO5, EXP-4HUB or EXP-8HUB - correct? As all those devices have IO's
    Where would we find the serial number for the IO Sensor? We are using the IND-IO.
    Back side of the unit
    SN: IO20220516001
  • adminadmin
    edited March 2023
    We have identified a bug in the sensor's firmware that in same cases could cause the IND-IO sensor to fail after 49 days. If you purchased your unit in the past year or purchased an extended warranty, then you can request a warranty from your order page. Other customers can request an out of warranty repair.
    Where on the order page can I request a warranty? I have an option to "Create New Order" or download "Commercial Invoice".
    It should be at the bottom of your order page "Alain Brunet"
  • bnicolbnicol

I still have the problem of loss of communication on all my dry contact sensors total = 9, there is a bug but they are no longer guaranteed, how can I fix this?