ServersCheck application hanging

dachamberlaindachamberlain

Hi Support,

This is the second time I have had a serious failure with ServersCheck. The first time the symptoms were: CPU went to 100% - I had to reboot. Same happened after reboot. I uninstalled the application, uninstalled Windows 2003 and started from scratch.

Now I have a very basic Windows 2003 server with nothing else running (no IIS or any other application). I have input 6 rules and then the Web page froze and I was unable to enter any more. I now get the following error in the event viewer:

Faulting application rrdtool.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module rrdtool.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0002d3b0.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 72 72 64 ure rrd
0018: 74 6f 6f 6c 2e 65 78 65 tool.exe
0020: 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 0.0.0.0
0028: 20 69 6e 20 72 72 64 74 in rrdt
0030: 6f 6f 6c 2e 65 78 65 20 ool.exe
0038: 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 0.0.0.0
0040: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 at offse
0048: 74 20 30 30 30 32 64 33 t 0002d3
0050: 62 30 b0

Please can you advise, I spent a long time evaluating other software before we purchased ServersCheck. Unfortunately, your evaluation only allows 3 rules. I might have found this problem at the evealuation stage if I had been allowed to create more rules.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Dear Sir,

the error has nothing to do with the number of rules as it is the rrdtool whose only job is to create graphs and nothing else.

You might want to download a newer version of the rrdtool from

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/

or disable the graphs.

Regards,

Forum Administrator
    For clarification:

the ServersCheck architecture as explained in the help file is a component based architecture where each component can run independently from the other.

You have the s-server.exe (which is the built-in webserver) that allows you to administrate the tool.

You have the monitoring_manager.exe and the monitoring_rule.exe that perform the actually monitoring (started as a Windows service)

You then have the s-alerts.exe that runs the alert jobs and finally you have the rrdtool that plot the graphs.

Architecture diagram:

http://www.serverscheck.com/help5/architecture.html

Can you specify which component drove CPU to 100%?

• dachamberlaindachamberlain

Are you also saying that the rrdtool error has nothing to do with the fact that the Web Page access is also hanginging? I have been trying to access port 1272 for over 40 minutes now and my IE browser is still unable to connect. It was working fine while I configured the first few rules, but not now.

"Can you specify which component drove CPU to 100%?"

Not now because I re-installed. The new problem has two symptoms: (1) the rrdtool error and (2) the Web Access hangs (port 1272).

That is exactly what I am saying. The rrdtool and the web server run independtly from each other.

To see what is happening on the web front end please proceed as follows:

1/ go to the windows command prompt

2/ go to the serverscheck directory

3/ type "s-server.exe"

4/ open your browser and go to http://localhost:1272

5/ perform the tasks you causing it to fail

6/ when it hangs to the command window and copy the error message

I am proceeding according to your instuctions above. So far, no problems.

Last time it failed while I was performing a Test Rule operation (the one with the little pop-up). At the moment, I am continuting to add rules and test them.

I'll let you know if and when it fails again.

Thanks,

David.

It doesn't appear to be hanging with only s-server.exe running. Is there any way I can continue with all the services running and still output any errors, either to a log file or to a command window?

David.

You should be able to see command windows when you select the monitoring service and webserver service of ServersCheck to run in "Interact with desktop mode"

Ok, here's what happened.

I figured out what you meant by "Interact with desktop mode" - (found it in the properties tab for the two services). I stopped everything, changed those modes and re-booted.

As soon as I logged in I got two errors: one for Internet Explorer and the other for RRDtool (again):

AppName: rrdtool.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: rrdtool.exe ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0002d3b0

I notice that the offset is the same as in the previous error although I have no idea what that might mean.

So what to do next?

For the configuration of the service please see help file:

http://www.serverscheck.com/help5/configure.html

The rrdtool.exe is launched each time a graph is plotted so it might just be one of the many graphs. I would not worry about this one.

What is the IE error?

I.E. error:
    Reporting queued error: faulting application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.3790.0, faulting module jscript.dll, version 5.6.0.8515, fault address 0x0000a034.
    I see it is not a page not found error but a real IE application error. I can't help you with that specific error and I have to direct you to Microsoft for that error.

Can you access with your browser http://localhost:1272 and can you add more rules and are those rules executed?

At the moment - all seems to be working. I am adding rules and I am logged in via a remote host (on our LAN). The ping rules are working and I have had a couple of alerts when the ping times have been exceeded. I can, however, use the browser on the localhost too. (Question: would it be a problem to be logged in from two browsers at the same time?)

I will monitor the situation and get back to you if I see further problems. As it is a new Windows 2003 installation, I might need to run all the updates (sigh).

One further question: if I have lots of ping rules (say 100), what is the minimum practical time to trigger them (every 30 seconds? or 2 minutes? or 10 minutes?). Do you use multiple processes to perform simultaneous tests or go through all the rules one-at-a-time?

Thanks for your help sp far and my apologies if I seemed to be unhappy with the product at first.

Regards,

David.

The software is multi-user capable so there is no issue to be logged in from 2 locations at the same time.

The Enterprise edition is performing multiple checks at the same time. The Professional runs them sequentially.

The interval depends on how critical the systems are. You might want to check with every 180 seconds and reduce it for some more critical systems. Beware that network latency (traffic etc..) can influence the results.

No need to apologize. I am sorry that we misunderstood you. Please feel free to contact support directly through the online helpdesk or this forum if you need further assistance.
This discussion has been closed.