False alarm email alert

[Deleted User][Deleted User]
edited August 2011 in InfraSensing Sensors
Hi,

Over the weekend i received a warning email from the temp sensor gateway stating that the temperature value had hit the warning threshold, but the value in the email alert was only 21.57 deg C, the actual threshold i have set is 26 deg C. I logged into the sensor to check and the value was still the same as the email alert (21.57). I dont understand why it sent an alert. This alert is sent to our global monitoring desk (about a team of 30 ppl) so it is not ideal to have misleading alert emails bouncing around.

Does this sound like a bug?

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Take a screen capture of the settings of your sensor, upload it to a website and post the link in the forum so that we can have a look.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Hi,

Any ideas on this?

Its been fine ever since but management is requesting a reason for the alerts
    Well i got another false email alert over the weekend.

here is the email alert. Also note that the date is 2 months off, ive double checked and the correct time and date is applied on the sensor itself

====================================

Message generated by ServersCheck on 01/08/2011 at 14:08 Rack 4 : WARNING (21.88)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
  • AdministratorAdministrator
    If the time on the sensor is correct and date as well, then it more looks to me to an email which got stuck a few months ago in a mail queue and was released to you just now.

Key is that you received an email with the temperature reading. It is better to receive a false positive than the opposite.

Hi,

Ive just discovered that when the device reboots it sends the same email alert...... So the device must have rebooted when those alerts were dispatched.

Just to be sure i changed mail servers and and accounts and it sends the same alert so definately not stuck in the mail server queue.

But i can confirm that when the device is rebooted either via the web interface or via power cycle, it will send that same email on startup
    ok so today i recieved a temperature down alert:

WARNING! Current Temperature is at a critical level on 18/11/2011 at 20:16

Rack 4 : DOWN (?)

I logged in right away to find that the reading was a whole 2 degrees below my warning threshold... bit strange that the email did not even state the current temperature. I rebooted the unit and recieved the usual false alert that i started this thread about.

Message generated by ServersCheck on 01/08/2011 at 14:08

Rack 4 : WARNING (21.88)

This discussion has been closed.