Issues on VLANs

James.CartJames.Cart
edited October 2012 in InfraSensing Sensors
My networking skills aren't as strong as I'd like, so if this a noob mistake, I apologize. I just cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

We have hardware version 4 of the PoE Environmental sensor running firmware 2.11 and are having problems with it working on VLANs.

We have 2 identically configured VLANs on our enterprise switches but our sensor is only working in one of the VLANs

VLAN 11 allows a laptop to ping, arp and web interface with the sensor. Likewise, the utility you provide can find the device.

When we put the device and laptop in VLAN 12 the laptop cannot ping, arp or find the web interface of the device. Nor can the utility you provide find the device.

Servers are in VLAN 12, while reporting hardware is all in VLAN 11 so it makes sense for this device to be in the same VLAN as other reporting hardware.

All other devices are respond to ping via a command prompt or from within the switch interface over SSH.

We've tried to reset the device via the push button, configure via DHCP and Static assignment. We also setup on basic LAN switches, like Netgear and Linksys and had similar results.

System on the basic switch could reach the device. System on another vlan connecting to the basic switch could not find the device.

We've also tried to change the MAC address. Still not working.

We're not sure what to do here and my boss swears everything on the LAN is configured correctly.

Is there any chance there is a bug in this devices ability to work on VLANs? Any issues with CIDR? VLSM? or anything like that?

Thanks for your time

James Cart

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    if it works on one of the vlan's and not the other it looks like a configuration issue on the other vlan. if it would have a problem with vlan's then it wouldn't work on any vlan (not even the first one).

If you put yourself in the second vlan - can you then see the sensorgateway with the utility?
  • James.CartJames.Cart
    No. If we put it in another VLAN with any workstations, the device is unreachable.

All servers are able to communicate correctly (Ping, web, mail, rdp, etc.) from within the 2nd VLAN.

All other systems are able to communicate correctly from within the 1st VLAN, including the sensor and utility.
    Does your 'No' mean that you can't see the sensorgateway if you put yourself in the same second Vlan as the unit is in (so not accessing it from a different Vlan)?
  • James.CartJames.Cart
    Yes, you understand my statement correctly. The device is not reachable from any workstation in that 2nd VLAN.
    Maybe an incorrect setting when configuring the IP address (wrong gateway or so). You can reset the sensorgateway using instructions in the user manual and reconfigure
  • James.CartJames.Cart
    After going over more information with my boss we found that the issue was related to bad arp cache. Clearing the cache allowed the device to communicate properly.

Thanks for your help. :)
This discussion has been closed.