Oracle ODBC

lancelance
Using a windows 2008 server I installed the Oracle client and am able to create a DSN on the server using the Oracle drive. I can't connect to the Oracle sever using ServersCheck. I get "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified."

I am using the connection string: Driver={Oracle ODBC Driver};Dbq=myDBName;Uid=myUsername;Pwd=myPassword

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    As it is running as a service, it might not be able to access the tnsnames.ora file

See following on connection strings:

http://www.connectionstrings.com/oracle
  • lancelance
    Yes that is what it seems like.

I am familiar with that web site. I tried multiple options there without success even the direct connect. Do you have a recommended connectionstring for serverscheck?
  • lancelance
    I have and older version of monitoring software running on XP working to monitor Oracle. It uses Microsoft Oracle Driver which I think was available on XP because of the MDAC version. I think that is no longer available on Windows Server 2008. That is why I downloaded the Oracle Client and an trying to get that to work on Windows 2008 Server. I can get a DSN created on the server using the Oracle driver but can't get any connection string to work in the monitoring software. This is essential for us right now. Any ideas you have is appreciated.
    Did you try this one?

Data Source=(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = yourhost)(PORT = 1521)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = mydb))); User Id=myuser; Password=mypassword;

If you did, are you able to create a DSN connection through Administrative Tools > ODBC ?
  • lancelance
    Yes but I tried it again with the error, Data source name not found and no default driver specified.
  • lancelance
    Yes I can create a DSN an mentioned before.

In the monitor software it seems always try to use Microsoft driver instead of Oracle driver.
    Did you do a user or system DSN?

• lancelance
    System
  • lancelance
    There is no Microsoft for Oracle driver on that machine since that is not an option when creating a System DSN but that is the driver ServersCheck wants to use so that is probably the issue. If I use a connection string to specify the Oracle driver I think it is being ignored.
    OK. I will pass it on to our development team for further investigation.
    If you have the database defined in your tnsnames.ora file, then could you try this?

Driver={Oracle in OraClient11g_home1};Dbq=myTNSServiceName;Uid=myuser;Pwd=mypassword;
  • lancelance
    I tried that one again and got the same error from Microsoft driver. Data source name not found and no default driver specified.
    The last connection string worked for me on a WIN7 with Oracle Client 11g installed
  • lancelance
    It probably has the Microsoft client/driver also and that is what it is using. Try it on windows 2008 server.

I just tried it on windows 7 and it works fine.
  • lancelance
    I installed the 32 bit Oracle client in addition to the 64 bit and it works now. I guess since the monitoring software is 32 bit then the driver needs to be also.
This discussion has been closed.