Eventlog errors

vierhovenhvierhovenh

We are running Serverscheck MX2. Everything seems to work fine, but we are unable to monitor events, c.q. the eventlogs. There are no policies or something of that kind.

We are using a domain admin account to start the services. It is not likely that there's a problem with WMI, other application are working fine.

Who can help? (NTFS rights are also checked)

on Apr 26 14:06:54 2004 DOWN - EVENTCAPTURE ERROR: Could not connect to bhfxxx using username: "xxx". Exiting.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    Is the ServersCheck service running under a Windows Account?

Regards,

Forum Administrator

• vierhovenhvierhovenh

Yes, with domain admin rights

Regards Henri

When you create the check and you perform test settings, what does it report as an error message?
  • vierhovenhvierhovenh
    <FORM name=checksdef onsubmit="return checkrequired(this)" action=addwizard3.html method=get>
    </FORM>
    <FORM name=checksdef onsubmit="return checkrequired(this)" action=addwizard3.html method=get>

<SCRIPT src= "></SCRIPT>
    Testing Settings

We will now test the settings you specified for the EVENTLOG monitoring rule.
    </FORM>
    <FORM name=checksdef onsubmit="return checkrequired(this)" action=addwizard3.html method=get> DomainUseraccountpasswordApplicationError" name=def> Executing monitoring rule...

Monitoring rule has been completed. These are the results:
    Result: DOWN?
    Error Returned: EVENTCAPTURE ERROR: Could not connect to Server.xxx.yyy.nl using username: "domainUseraccount". Exiting.
    Value Returned:

</FORM>
    With this test we can exclude that it is related to the user rights of the service as the configuration server typically runs under the Windows Account under which it was started.

Apparently some network restriction prevents ServersCheck from remotely contacting the computer and ask for the read out of the event log of that computer.

Have you tried using the IP address of that computer instead?

Mvg,

Forum Administrator
  • vierhovenhvierhovenh

Through a local mmc, logged on with the account it's not een problem to read out the eventlog remotely.

I will try your suggestion tomorrow. Thanks for so far.

No problem. As an MX2 customer, You can also contact us at support@serverscheck.com.

Mvg,

Forum Administrator
  • vierhovenhvierhovenh

I've just tried to connect to the server using the IP-Adres. I've got the same problems.

I've tried using an 'old' domain admin account, still the same problems.

Any other suggestions?

Can you try to run the check on the local machine (just to see if the check itself works on your systems). If it fails to execute the check on the system running ServersCheck, then it might be related to the check itself. Otherwise some network interference is blocking this check.

Is DCOM enabled on both the computer running ServersCheck and the target host?

Regards,

Forum Administrator
  • vierhovenhvierhovenh

The check on the local machine didn't execute either, same error.

DCom is enabled on all servers and the settings are standard.

gr Henri

I just check with development. The above error message is triggered when following occurs:

The username and password provided are not allowed to connect to Server.xxx.yyy.nlipc$

It creates a connection to the remote computer on the ipc$ share. If that is not active or not allowed, then it can not open a connection to the remote computer

Regards,

Forum Administrator
  • vierhovenhvierhovenh

Problems are over.

What have we done? We installed the application on a new serverinstallation. The server is in the same VLan and in the same OU as all the servers. I'm still using the same user. What caused the problems, is still unknown but we think it's a combination of VLan and OU.

Thanks for all help.

gr Henri

This discussion has been closed.