Public Beta 8.0 SSL / TLS 1.2

AdministratorAdministrator
edited August 2018 in InfraSensing Sensors
Public beta of firmware 8.0 with TLS 1.2 support is available for download by customers with an active support agreement or ServersCheck+ subscription from their myServersCheck account (https://my.serverscheck.com)

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator
    edited October 2018
    The beta of firmware 8.0 is now a public beta. You can download it from the link at the end of the post. It is designed for SensorGateways of hardware version 5.1 or higher.

It addresses past HTTPS issues. This FIPS 140-2 version also supports the upload of customer security certificates.

Beta disclaimer:
    Please note that this is a beta version of the firmware which is still undergoing final testing before its official release. This firmware is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. ServersCheck does not give any warranties,
    whether express or implied, as to the suitability or usability of the hardware with this beta firmware.

ServersCheck will not be liable for any loss, whether such loss is direct, indirect, special or consequential, suffered by any party as a result of their use of the firmware. The user will be solely responsible for any damage to any hardware or loss of data that results from the use of the beta firmware.

Should you encounter any bugs, glitches, lack of functionality or other problems with the firmware, then please let us know via this forum so that the issues can be addressed accordingly.

By downloading and using the beta firmware you agree to the above beta disclaimer. If you do not agree with the disclaimer then you should not download or use the firmware.

I agree with the above disclaimer
  • I have a newer sensor gateway 5 that installed this beta ver 8 works just fine shows Hardware Version : Release 5.1. I have an older box (2014 model) that show Hardware Version : Release 5.1 when Firmware Version 7.5 is installed, but after the beta 8 install the hardware version changes to a lower revision and the temperature sensor internally does not work/display. I need the update firmware for TLS connection to Gmail SMTP.
    Can you provide us with the first 6 digits of the serial number of your device?

Gmail can also work without TLS as per user manual instructions.
  • MMCART

Thank you for reporting the issue,

What is the serial number of the gateway that has an issue with the beta firmware? also what was the hardware version it downgraded into. the info will help us replicate the issue and identify the problem.
  • MMCARTMMCART
    edited September 2018
    Hardware Version : Release 2.0
    SGW 20141111
  • PocholloPochollo
    MMCART

A reset might help you, I have a 2015 model that had the same issue, But after I restarted my device it went back from 2.0 to 5.1 ... if yours does not then try to do a complete reset of your device and re upload the beta firmware.
  • AHNGSAHNGS
    I tried the update, but the sensor gateway just hung and I could not access it afterwards. I did a factory reset, uploaded the update again, and the same result. I reloaded 7.5.

SN #: SGW20150127 15326 020
  • BrettKBrettK
    I have only the standard warranty from a purchase on 9/10/18. Apparently I don't have an active support agreement or ServersCheck+ subscription because I am unable to get the beta 8.0 firmware when logged-in to my my.serverscheck.com account. What do I need my Procurement folks to purchase in the way of support to get this firmware?
    BrettK you can download it from here: http://downloads.serverscheck.com/sensors/FW_8.0_BETA_v3.BIN
  • BrettKBrettK
    I thought I'd get an email when someone responded to this thread, but maybe that's not the way this system is intended to work.

Clicking on the link didn't work. It put Chrome into some strange mode. I had to hit the back button and go into the issue again, then copy the URL and paste it into the browser URL field.

I tried installing this firmware update on two different SensorGateway 5.1 units. It fails on both of them. After rebooting the OLED goes blank, the Online and Sensor lights blink at a slower, steady rate, but I cannot browse to 192.168.11.160. I had to reset both back to 3.21 and then upgrade to 7.5, which works, but does not support https on modern browsers because of a SSL/TLS incompatibility.

Suggestions regarding installing Firmware 8.0 Beta?
  • BrettKBrettK
    edited January 2019
    My two SensorGateways are:

SGW 2018XXXX
    SGW 2018XXXX

(admin anonymization of data for privacy)
  • BrettKBrettK
    I am looking for input on the FW_8.0_BETA_v3.BIN for the SensorGateway so that they can use https with modern browsers. The firmware from the previous link puts the SensorGateway into an unusable state and it must be reset back to firmware v3.21 and then upgraded back to v7.5.
  • sensor212sensor212
    Brett,

I have used the same firmware, and I was able to access the same IP address thru HTTPS.

You can try to update again and after update, access the IP address on HTTPS. See if you could access back the gateway.
  • BrettKBrettK
    sensor212:

Thanks for the input, but I've tried this multiple times with two different SensorGateways and I get the same results - a non-responsive SensorGateway that has to be hardware reset back to 3.21, and then upgraded to 7.5.

I'm not inclined to "push this car up the hill and see if its brakes fail again" for the firmware.

I'm hoping to hear from a ServersCheck support person about next steps.

Thanks again,
    Brett
    We have escalated this to our R&D department. It still is in BETA and not ready for deployment.
  • BrettKBrettK
    Thanks for checking into this.
    SSL update has been pushed back while we work on it. Today's v8 release does NOT include it. However new release includes a built-in firewall.
  • MK2019MK2019
    We recently tried testing with v8.1 and it appears the firmware has not eliminated SSL3. Is this correct or is there a configuration change we are missing? Is there a timeframe when this should be completed?